This started off following a recipe but it's become one of the most commonly made meals in our home that the recipe has sorted of become more organic and free flowing. I love Butternut Squash and this tastes perfectly with the spices used in this recipe. Not to mention, who doesn't love the cheesy goodness of Risotto. Haven't met one I didn't like yet!
1 Cup Risotto Rice
1 Quart Vegetable Stock
1 small/medium Butternut Squash, cubed in 1/4 inch pieces
1/2 Cup shredded Parmesan Cheese
1 TBSP Hungarian Paprika
1/4 TSP ground Cayenne Pepper or flakes
1 TBSP Sea Salt
1/4 TSP ground pepper
1/4 TSP Ground Tumeric
1 Large Yellow Onion, chopped
3 Cloves Chopped Garlic
1. Put the Veggie Stock in a pot and bring to a low simmer.
2. Saute the Onion and Garlic in a large saucepan until Translucent. Add in the dry spices and continue to cook with onion mixture about 2 minutes. Add the cubed butternut squash. Continue to saute until the edges of the squash start to brown.
3. Add the Risotto Rice, and add about 1 TBSP more of Olive Oil, coating everything.
4. For the next 30 minutes you will be adding the Vegetable stock 1 cup at a time, while occasionally stirring. Add more stock once the prior cup of stock has been absorbed. You will notice towards the end of 30 minutes that the dish gains some volume. At this point you want to taste test the rice and continue cooking until just past Al dente. It should still hold it's shape yet not be mushy. Remove from heat.
5. Mix in the Parmesan cheese at the end when the risotto is off the heat. You can add more hot stock if you want a soupier risotto.