I've pass up THIS recipe several times on Veg Times but no idea why because it was amazing. This really tasted like old traditional Italian cooking without the meat. You might be surprised that a meatless 'meatball' could taste so good but these were delicious and easy to make.
Stuff You'll Need to Make them
- 4 cups broccoli florets (1 large head)
- 1 cup raw almonds
- ¼ cup grated Parmesan cheese
- ¼ cup finely chopped fresh basil
- ¼ cup finely chopped fresh parsley
- 2 cloves garlic, minced (2 tsp.)
- ⅛ tsp. cayenne pepper
- 2 large eggs
- 1 Tbs. olive oil
- ¼ cup diced white onion
- 1 large garlic clove, finely chopped
- 1 28-oz. can crushed tomatoes
1. To make Meatballs: Preheat oven to 350°F. Line baking sheet with parchment paper.
2. Steam broccoli florets 10 minutes, or until tender and bright green. Cool.
3. Pulse almonds in food processor until finely ground. Transfer to large mixing bowl.
4. Pulse steamed broccoli in food processor until chopped. Transfer to bowl with ground almonds. Add Parmesan, basil, parsley, garlic, and cayenne. Season with salt and pepper, if desired.
5. Whisk eggs in small bowl, then stir eggs into broccoli mixture.
6. Shape mixture into 12 Meatballs by hand, pressing firmly to ensure Meatballs hold their shape. Place on prepared baking sheet, and bake 25 minutes, or until golden brown.
7. To make Garlic-Tomato Sauce: Heat oil in large saucepan over medium heat. Add onion and garlic, and cook 5 minutes, or until onion is soft. Add tomatoes and their juice, and cook 20 minutes, or until sauce thickens, stirring occasionally. Season with salt and pepper, if desired.